|Begun diye Tangra macher jhol|
Tangra maach or Tangra fish is a sweetheart to the Bongs.We love to eat this fish in simple jhol(thin gravy) or begun diye jhol(thin gravy with Brinjal) or tel jhal(oily gravy with lots of green chilly). Here I am sharing the recipe of begun diye jhol. I don't know if fish is cooked with vegetables in other provinces.But we bengalis certainly do so.Alu(potato) is the most common thing which we add in non-veg dishes.Be it Mutton curry or chicken curry.Next comes brinjal.There are many dishes like Begun Ilish jhol,Begun diye Tangra macher jhol,Begun bodi diye pabda jhol etc.I 'll share all these recipes later.
- Tangra mach - 8
- Brinjal - 1 big cut into pieces(like the pic above)
- Alu - 2 medium size cut into thin slices
- Kalanjee - 1 small tsp
- Mustard oil
- Turmeric powder - 1tsp
- Red Chilly powder - 2tsp
- Ginger paste - 1tsp
- Salt to taste
- Wash and clean the fish.Add salt and turmeric powder to the fish.
- Now heat a kadai with 3-4tbsp of mustard oil.Fry the fish and keep it aside.
- In the same kadai now add the kalanjee and Brinjal.
- Fry the Brinjal in the oil.Add some more oil if required.Keep the fried brinjal aside.
- Now in the same oil add the potatoes and fry for some more time.
- After the potatoes are fried, add ginger paste,chilly and turmeric powder.Fry for 1-2 mins.
- Now add some water ( I have added 2 1/2 cups for the above gravy).Also add the fried brinjal and fried fish.Let the gravy to boil.
- Add salt and slit green chilly (optional).
- Boil till it cooks properly(the oil should come on top).Serve it hot with steamed rice.